Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Snow! (and my secret weapon against it)

As any true Minnesota boy, I'm used to snow. I even like it. I have plenty of pleasant memories of snow from my years in Minnesota.

But it's different now that I'm in New York. Oh, I still like the snow well enough. I don't really mind the cold (it's actually a lot warmer in Western New York in general than Minnesota ever was during the winter.) The problem with the snow in this part of New York is that it's almost always snowing. New batches of lake-effect snow coming off of Lake Erie are being deposited on my driveway almost daily.

This in itself wouldn't be so bad, but my house is connected to my church's lot. The driveway for my house is found at the end of the parking lot for my church. So, essentially, I've got a really long driveway to clear every time it snows. I will admit, removing this snow from my driveway, the parking lot, the front steps, the church entrances, in front of the mailbox at the street, etc. etc. -- it does get old after awhile.

But I've got a secret weapon! Many would probably envy the snow removal tool I wield, but here in WNY, it's pretty much standard issue (or it should be): I have a riding-snowblower.

Yes, they really exist! It's actually a riding lawn mower (or lawn tractor) that gets converted in the winter to a snowblower, complete with a cab over the top to limit the wind and snow in the driver's face.

Here's a picture of me on it from a couple years ago.



Needless to say, I am very thankful this beast (as I like to call it) exists! That doesn't mean it always works perfectly, though. After the first snow last week, it ran out of gas as I was driving it back to our shed. After we filled it up, the snow-blower was jammed with frozen snow, and unjamming it was not easy. Oh yeah, then the door to the cab fell off. (Hopefully I'll get that fixed soon.)

Still, I'd rather have it than not! Bring on the snow!
blog comments powered by Disqus