Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The [Google] Wave of the Future?

google_waveWhether you’ve ever heard of it or not, in the future Google Wave might be the main method of communication in our world, period. Bigger than telephone, bigger than letters, bigger than email.

At least, that’s what they tell us.

I received an invite to try out Google Wave a few weeks ago, and let’s just say this product is still very much in beta. There’s a lot of bugs in it, it can be slow to open, and it can crash at any time. Beyond that, it’s just plain slow and awkward to use.

But still, the possibilities of this product look pretty exciting. To really get a feel for what Google Wave is and what it does, click here. As a pastor, I’m interested in applications for Bible study, church work groups, prayer requests, and lots of other uses that are possibilities with Wave.

As of now, you can only be on Google Wave if you have an invite. These invites were once pretty scarce, but are getting more common. I have a little more than 10 invites I’d like to give away. If you want one, just post a comment to this post, and I’ll see what I can do. Note: you must leave your email address in some way for me to be able to invite you!

By the way, I’m pastorwalters [at] googlewave.com if you want to contact me on Wave. Maybe I’ll see you on the internet communication tool of the future!

blog comments powered by Disqus